Thursday, April 8, 2010

Vinyl vs cd/mp3

Recent tests include Black Sabbath's Paranoid, and Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, the latter playing this moment. As I switch back and forth between the two formats, I notice a significant difference in the balance of instruments. On vinyl, the upright bass sounds real, and clear. On mp3 played from iTunes it sounds like it could be an electric bass, but it's hard to tell as it's further back in the mix. The mids are pushed way forward on the mp3, which results in a somewhat fuller sound in total, but ultimately this is an undesirable difference. The vinyl version sounds closer to real instruments playing live, whereas the mp3 sounds like a poorly produced recording in comparison.

I write this not because there is a dearth of information on this topic on the internet (google this for yourself and be overwhelmed), but because I intend this blog to be a sort of musical diary, recording my personal experiences listening to, thinking about, and occasionally making music.

PS, in case anyone was wondering, I am NOT breaking the rules of the alphabet experiment. Susie isn't here as I listen to the above mentioned albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment